Recent

Celebrate the Last Daze of Summer....

No comments
Though I whole- heartedly refuse to acknowledge the lazy days of summer may be nearing a bittersweet end, the world of retail is reminding me at an increasingly rapid pace. That wonderful stretch of Summer Sales where a store's summer collection is at least 50% off is over. Sweaters and coats now fill the shelves. Just yesterday I strolled through Hobby Lobby only to be bombarded by an assortment of Christmas decorations. Luckily, Mother Nature is fighting the tug-of-war against red leaves and apple cyder . The Temperature, averaging the high 80's with humidity that has girls reaching for their Frizz-ease , has reminded me that summer, indeed isn't gone yet.
My friend Katie, the ever-admired social entertainer had a gathering this past weekend themed around the comedy Dazed and Confused. What I loved most was the fact that there were all ages present at Katie's and at some point in the movie every one could relate to the flick.
Dazed and Confused follows teenagers on their last day of school in 1976 approaching their senior year. I've seen this movie a dozen times, though don't think I've ever laughed as hard as I did with a larger group watching this with me; not to mention the one liners of Mathew McConaughey and Ben Affleck's are priceless! My favorite part of the night was the movie brought back memories of the care-free days of summer when we didn't have bills and careers to worry about, but instead, what excuse we were going to give our parents for coming in two hours late. This is an easy party idea for all ages! Heck I think this is even a great gathering idea for people my parent's age! What a way to take them "back in the day...."
Invite 8-10 of your favorite friends. For party beverages I'd definitely suggest beer. It's very fitting for the flick. I'd skip the keg (you'll see enough of those in the movie) and opt for an ice chest or one of those large metal buckets and fill with cold beverages; maybe even craft beers. (Above pictured ice chest from Potterybarn.com) Serve easy refreshing appetizers. (You don't want to make a fuss out of food at this laid back get-together.) Katie served Tomato Caprese (Cherry Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella Balls, Fresh Basil) on Skewers with oil and vinegar on the side for dipping. She also did baked cheese quesadillas with all of the fixings on the side for guests to dress themselves. Baked pita chips and hummus with Fresh sliced watermelon will surely feed your friends appetite for summer.
Before and after the movie put on your favorite classic rock 70's play list or satellite station. It brings the complete mood together. Summer may be nearing an end, but memories from our youth are still around, and often very fun to revisit.

No comments :

Post a Comment