Recent

Hobb-knobbin' around

3 comments
When I was a child, running in circles and playing hide-and-go-seek, I was fascinated by the door knobs in my grandparents home. They weren't like the typical shiny brass knobs that filled my own house. Instead, clear glass engraved knobs accompanied every door in their 1940's home. What was even more intriguing were the key holes in each knob. I was told that skeleton keys were the only way to open these locks, but if you had one, it could open any interior door in the house.Obviously homes just aren't built with the charm and detail they once were. It's typical to see brass or cheap gold fixtures through out new constructions. If you're lucky, you may get silver plated or coated. Thankfully, there is someone sitting at a design desk somewhere, who also remembers the romantic door knobs in their grandparent's homes. These designers are recapturing the essence of hand crafted design. While it's not cheap to refurnish you whole home at once with individualistic knobs, it is an investment to work toward and then cherish. Decorative knobs can be found everywhere from Lowe's to high end boutiques. Be sure to measure the knobs first. Apparently, door knobs aren't one-size-fits-all. I was short of devastated when I got home with my hand-blown pink glass bubble knob only to find it didn't fit correctly.
There is no rhyme or reason to door knobs. Don't fill every room with the same one. Variety is available, so take advantage and mix it up from room to room. How many of your friends have pink crystallized glass knobs on their french doors? Mostly likely not many, if any at all! Be one of the first to have a conversation piece that will add the detail to your room that today's homes unfortunately simply lack.
Bubble Glass Pink knob, Enter/Exit Knob and Glass Flower knob all Anthropologie.com

3 comments :

  1. well said.

    Modern construction is an atrocious affront to anyone those who were graced with taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! I was just looking up doorknobs this weekend! Another fabulous website for vintage knobs is www.houseofantiquehardware.com - it is so hard to not buy everything at once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE GLASS DOORKNOBS~ I want to do this when I have a baby girl- in her nursery-

    Love you blog!

    http://kellyannstudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete