Recent

"Let them eat CUPcakes"

2 comments
Marie Antoinettes' alarmed French commoners may not have found her infamous line so insulting if they lived in today's society where cupcakes are no longer a little blob of flour, sugar and egg in a pink paper wrapper; instead an art form; an over-the-top gourmet sought after treat.
I believe a personal forecast of the growing cupcake trend came a little over two years ago when it was ironically my father who informed me that wedding cakes are out of style. Apparently in South Florida cutting the cake was so five years ago and cupcakes for guests were all the rage. I don't believe that we Southerns have fully caught onto that trend, however, my friend Hannah had a lovely Winter Wedding last year and broke tradition with scrumptious Red Velvet Cupcakes. I certainly didn't hear any complaints.
Across the country, Gourmet cupcake bakeries are popping up. Here, in Nashville, you can expect to pay
around $3.75 for a
piece of the cake piled high with a frosting lover's dream of whipped sugar, butter and a bright burst of color. I've tried one gourmet brand in Franklin I really don't care to waste the calories on, but I'm dying to try The Cupcake Collection in German Town. The story alone, of a whole family making a dream job come true is worth the trip. Check out their story at http://www.nashvillescene.com/2009-02-26/news/the-sweet-spot (Scroll all the way down. The story is hidden.) I'm also a big fan of Whole Foods beautifully decorated creations. Anyone who knows me well knows that I crave cupcakes like Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt crave attention. I once had a Vanilla Cupcake scented Yankee Candle I had to shove into the bottom desk drawer. When burning, the aroma caused me 1 am trips to the 24-hour Kroger while studying for exams in college; resulting in a few unwanted pounds. The temptation of cupcakes is something I can't deny. Cupcakes over Cake at my wedding someday? Maybe. Until then, I can depend on fluffy cake piled high with rich frosting most anywhere, thanks to their ever growing popularity. And to all of those commoners that snubbed the French Queen's remark, I can say, "Yes, Marie, I will gladly eat cake."

2 comments :

  1. So I started yet another diet and those cupcakes seriously make me want to run to KROGER ASAP and start baking. Love all ur updates on the blog so far. Let me know how ur strawberry shortcakes turn out tonight! LOVE U!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was checking out your blog, and wanted to let you know how impressed I was! Keep up the good work ;)

    ReplyDelete