Recent

If God closes windows, forget the bigger door, I want another window

1 comment
When I was a little kid I watched a show on The Disney Channel called The Torkelsons. Adolescent, yet so ready to be grown up 14-yr-old Dorthy Jane Torkelson would end the show each week by curling up on the cushions upon the window seat in her Victorian Bay window. "Oh Man in the Moon..." she would plead in her southern drawl..."While this window seat provides me a sanctuary from the storm of five younger brothers and sisters, I'm still not at peace...Will older sophisticated Riley ever ask me to the Homecoming Dance?" Dorthy was dramatic and maybe a few years beyond her age...But what better way to consult The Man in the Moon than in your own personal "sanctuary from the storm?"
I love windows; Big sun-pouring windows. So, what better of a place to relax inside than a window seat? The feeling of the sun or moon shining in on you while you get lost in your thoughts is truly a sense of peace. What I love the most about window seats is you can build one most anywhere. My junior year of college we had an open space under the window about 3 feet wide between the refrigerator and the counter. I decided I'd take it upon myself to design and build an easy seat with bright cushions. The slide in seat took me a few hours to build (okay, I actually directed my friend Bill while I leaned again the counter with a tall glass of lemonade). This kitchen spot always ended up being a gathering place when people came over. I eventually ended up moving it into my bedroom. It fit between my armoire and desk. (Pictured above left, with green and pink pillows.)






If you own your own house and can put in a permanent seat, pick an open spaced window in the kitchen or that corner window in the family room. You can find simple plans to build your own online or you can always get a more elaborate built in seat like the pictured circular. Renters, build a removable seat or you can purchase ready-made seat like the ones pictured side by side, above, from MaineCottage.com ;available in about 25 different eye-popping colors! Picking out cushions may be the most exciting part. I'd choose two options so you can change them out twice a year. Such an easy way to update a simple room.
currently don't have a window seat in my home but I did move a bench I got on deep discount from Pier One Imports in front of my living room window. While it's mostly used for my cat to lounge and bake in the sun, I still find myself on it every once in awhile watching the sun go down, getting lost in my dreams. Maybe someday my window seat will be like this ocean view. That's something to get lost in.

1 comment :

  1. Oh my goodness! Every time I asked someone about that show they looked like I was insane! I was beginning to think I made it up in my head to satisfy my window seat fantasies! Lovely article!

    ReplyDelete