Recent

Your naked clothes are begging to be accessorized

1 comment
What is it about flowers that makes a girl happy? For me, it's the feeling of spring, of getting a surprise on a whim, the feeling of a summer breeze gliding across my face...Okay, I'll cut the romantic dramatic crap. I like flowers because: A. they smell good, and B. They can take a boring black outfit to absolute fashion fabulousness.
I know girls who swear by their preppy cardigans. They love the classic look of a sharp, clean button down J Crew knit in a great solid color like Fresh Green Grass; something you'd also find on a Gap mannequin; An individual piece I personally think should be reserved for second grade teachers. (Hold on teachers, I respect you and I'm going somewhere with this). I'll be honest, if it weren't for the whole librarian feeling I get when I wear these things I would've been sporting these little get-ups for years. They're comfortable and easy. Luckily I just got a wake up call; a re-found reason to walk into the office wearing one.....The secret? A bloomin' flower, ladies. I prefer silk but I'll settle for casual cotton with a great print. You can get these flowers at many local retail chains and boutiques. Many come with pins, some are clip-ons. Put them on your sweaters, tees, bags, shoes. I'd suggest even going to Hobby Lobby where they have beautiful flowers. Cut the stem off and stick a safety pin through the base. The best colors to pick through the end of summer are bright ones! Put a fushia flower on a yellow sweater. Put a combination of purple and yellow flowers on your Grass Green Cardigan. If I could scream anything from the roof enough relating to the world of clothing and interiors it would be "Don't be Afraid of Color!" You'll hear me say this a lot more.
Whatever you do, please don't overload flowers in your hair. I went to college with a girl who thought she lived on the island of Fiji. She placed clipped tropical flowers every night in her long blonde mane of curly hair. To the restaurant...to the bar she went....I always felt like someone should buy her a Pina Colada or one of those little pretty drinks with an umbrella in it to complete her look. Summer or not, the look didn't work 4 years ago and it wouldn't now (at least if you're miles from the beach like this landlocked soul).
I can't stress enough, with the end of summer nearing and the fall too quickly approaching...don't be afraid of flowers on your garments. Take it down a notch on your shoes once Labor Day rolls around, but sport your flowers now, and throw in some plaid or tweed flowers to wardrobe this fall. There is nothing better than the feeling of uniqueness and confidence at the same time when you walk in the room. Add a flower to your outfit and I promise you the phrase "flower power" will have a whole new meaning.
Above outfits: Sweater with multiple flowers (can be purchased surprisingly at my not so favorite New York and Co.) Mustard yellow clutch and Must have Pink heels both from Jcrew.com

1 comment :

  1. amy, i love your blog! you are so good with words!! hope you're doing well!
    Erin

    www.kentuckynewlyweds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete